How to establish a VPN Connection on Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices?
What is a VPN Connection?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It establishes a private network across public network. It enables a Wi-Fi enabled device, PC or Mac to send or receive data across public or shared networks as if you feel like working on a private network. A Virtual Private Network is created by establishing a virtual point to point connection by using traffic encryption, virtual tunneling protocols or dedicated connections.
How to establish VPN Connection on Mac (Mac VPN Connection):
Open Network Preferences and enter VPN configuration settings. The settings include Account name, VPN server address and other authentication settings such as password or certificate. If you have VPN settings file available with you, double click on it or Click on Apple Menu and then choose System Preferences. Now click Network and then click on Action pop-up menu to import configuration by selecting the file.
You can also establish VPN settings manually by following the below steps:
- Click on Network by choosing System Preferences from Apple Menu.
- Click on Add (+) button which is at the bottom of network connection services list, then click on Interface pop-up menu and choose VPN.
- Choose the kind of VPN Connection by clicking on the VPN Type pop-up menu depending on the network type connection. Provide a name to the VPN service and click on Create button. The types of networks available are:
PPTP: It allows the corporations to extend their own network through private tunnels over public network.
L2TP: It is an extension for Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol to enable VPN over internet through Internet service providers.
IPSec (Internet Protocol Security): It is a set of security protocols.
- Enter server address and account name for the VPN Connection.
- Enter the information received from Network administrator by clicking on Authentication Settings.
- Now click on Ok button and finally on Connect button to establish the VPN Connection on MAC Yosemite.
Connect and switch between VPN services by clicking on VPN status icon and selecting Show VPN status in the menu bar. You can also remove the VPN configuration by clicking on the Remove (-) button.
How to establish VPN Connection on iPhone, iPod touch or iPad devices:
You can establish a VPN Connection on iOS device with wireless or cellular data networks. Follow the below steps to establish the connection on iPhone, iPod touch or iPad devices.
- Launch Settings page on an iOS device and choose General Settings and then VPN.
- Choose Add Configuration and enter the necessary details
- Ask the Administrator if you don’t the relevant details that you have to enter and tap on Save button
You can find the network settings under the Settings page. Turn on the toggle button beside VPN to enter user name and password to connect to VPN.[review]
Originally posted 2014-12-11 12:21:25.